MY COLLEGE ENTRANCE TESTS JOURNEY

Friday, May 17, 2019






Hi! I’ve been meaning to share my experience about this crazy and super stressful college application period! Since a new batch of youngbloods will go through the same journey this year, I thought I would provide some tips and also tell what I did to prepare myself for the examinations.

INCOMING: A HUGE DISCLAIMER.

     This is not me flexing on the internet about how I got into these schools. I really just wanted to share some insight in the process. :)  

II. What Schools Did I Apply to?

                This is quite a confusing story. Last year, I was sure that I was going to apply to the big 4 universities. Aside from those schools, I spent weeks searching universities to find what environment and course that would suite me best.

 Originally, I planned to apply to 6 schools: Ateneo de Manila University (ADMU), De Lasalle University (DLSU), Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila (PLM), Polytechnic University of the Philippines (PUP), University of the Philipines (UP), and University of Santo Tomas (UST).

Due to financial reasons I was only able to complete my application to ADMU, UP, PUP and PLM. Take note when taking entrance exams, more often than not, if the school is a private institution there is a fee that you’ll need to pay in order to take the test. For private universities such as ADMU, DLSU and UST I think the payment is 500-700 pesos. Since I was a very broke high school student I only applied to one private university which is Ateneo.

So, yay, I completed my application these 4 schools BUT I only took 2 of the exams. I took the Ateneo College Entrance Test (ACET) and University of the Philippines College Admission Test (UPCAT).  Let me tell you why.

I.I Taking the ACET

                Most universities make use of online portals for their application forms. For example, in DLSU you just need to upload and type in your information to get an exam permit. While in UP, UST,PUP and PLM you just need to type in your information, print out the form and submit it to the testing center. ACET is not the same. You have the print out the blank application forms and write the information yourself. Therefore, it requires more patience to accomplish. Since I applied for a financial Aid I had to fill out twice the # of papers a normal taker would fill out. So, that’s fun. 

Aug 31, 2018 I submitted my application to the provincial testing site. This is actually the deadline of applications and I am not proud of that (HAHA). Fast forward to September 22 I took the ACET. By this point I already knew I was going to apply to 4 schools. Fast forward to January 9, 2019 I got my results. I found out I got into my first course (yay!) and I qualified for the financial aid (double yay!) After knowing that I got into ADMU, I decided not to take the PUPCET any longer.


I.II Taking the UPCAT

                Online application started on July 15, 2018. As soon as it was announced I immediately did all the typing and printing needed. But, some struggles were met during this time because quite a number of students from my school applied to UP and you need to submit a copy of grades from grade 9 to grade 11. In my school the process of getting these numbers, verifying them and having them signed by the principal is SO LONG. So, I also was able to submit my application last minute (LOL HELP). Around September I was supposed to take the UPCAT but due to weather discrepancies the tests were moved in October. By April 1st, I got my results.



 At this point of time because I had Ateneo and UP. I decided to withdraw my application from PLM.


II. What Schools YOU NEED to Apply to.

                One can get easily overwhelmed by the number of universities in the Philippines. While it’s good to apply TO ALL OF THEM and have options, I think it’s best to filter the schools that best fit your needs and the course you’ll take.
Apply to schools that:

1.       Fit your career choice - For example, I wanted to purse medicine and specifically I wanted courses synonymous to Physical Therapy. Therefore, I only applied to universities that are inclined with the course. You can’t be vying into Agricultural courses and apply to a prestigious university without that specific course, right?

2.       You can afford – Let’s face it. You can’t pursue a college education in a university you can barely afford. When applying to schools, look at their tuition fees. If you think your family won’t be able to sustain the price, then I advise you to look for other schools. 

3.       Offer scholarships – This is a vital thing. When you think you’re qualified and capable for getting a scholarship. Go for it! This is another way of getting into schools whose tuition fees are through the roof. I personally chose to only apply to Ateneo because the scholarship application was a guarantee compared to other schools where you have to enroll first before qualifying to apply for one. Like I said, I’m a poor nerd.

4.       You can live in – You will spend a good amount of time in your chosen university. Think if you’re parents will allow you to be in a dorm ( if you live in the province) or if YOU can live away from your family for a good 4-5 years. This may seem like such a trivial thing to consider, but trust me, think about it.

III. Preparing for the Exam

                Okay.  Here’s a real talk: no matter how hard you study for these entrance tests, you will never be 100% ready. I say that with confidence. The range of topics you have to study is ginormous that I don’t recommend reviewing topics you don’t even understand in the first place. I think it’s best to go back to your basics and start from there.

                I don’t think I am even qualified enough to be giving this “advice” because around the CET/ preparation season my physical and mental health weren’t the best. But trying MY BESTEST (that is not a word but you get my point) did I do!
                In summary, I joined 2 intense group reviews:

1.       UP Communication Research Society CEER which was a 4 Saturday intense review session that had mock exams, discussions, seminars and even a tour of UP Diliman. The fee is 600 pesos for the 4 whole Saturdays with the inclusion of printed reviewers.

2.       UP Mi- abeyabe CEER- this was a 2 day review conducted in Pampanga High School (PHS) by the students of the UPLB org. It includes mock tests, discussions and a career talk. The fee is I think 200 pesos if you don’t attend PHS but if you do it’s for free. The printed reviewers are paid separately.
 Aside from those two, I never enrolled myself in a review center because I had no money to do so and because I knew I had all the resources in the world to study for myself and with my peers. I thought that paying 5,000 was not worth it. However, if you think you’re not confident enough to study on your own and you believe you need an extra boost in memorizing formulas, then go ahead and enroll in these review centers ultimately if you have all the means to do so. We all have different methods / phase of studying. You do you bro.

Instead what I did was download lots of practice exams, watch lots of crash course and khan academy videos, and refresh my mind of basic science concepts and math formulas. Later, you will see helpful resources I used in reviewing.

As much as I would love to share a routine pattern or a schedule of my readings and reviews, I can’t. Well, I tried having a regular and fixed schedule where I will read everything about this subject today and that tomorrow but because I had to juggle school and my constant self-deprecating tendencies I just studied and read my notes whenever and wherever I can.

IV. TIPS

11       APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS – I can not stress this enough. There are tons of organizations, government sectors, and private organizations who are willing to help you fund your education. You just must be patient with all the requirements and be aware of all the deadlines. You won’t lose anything if you try. The worst case scenario is you not being a recipient ( no big deal ) and the best case? You, receiving money for studying HARD.

22.       DON’T RUSH YOUR APPLICATIONS – If you found out that the university your eyeing already started its application period, get your ass off your bed and start working. Remember that you’re not the only one applying which means all the legal papers and documents you need won’t be easy to get. It will most likely look like hunger games in the faculty of your high school when the crunch time comes. So, before that happens, do your WORK.

33.       YOUR FRIENDS ARE YOUR SAVIORS – Study groups can go into 2 directions. Either, productive where all of you learn from one another, or counterproductive where everyone is on his/her phone while eating junk food. I hope you have friends who’ll fall on the former because studying with peers is such a great way of sharing knowledge and at the same time having a better grasp of hard to understand topics.

44.       THE INTERNET IS HEAVEN – Basically, everything you’ll ever need in order to learn is within your fingertips. There are countless of google drive accounts having multiple folders of mock exams, lectures and notes that you could use. I’ll drop some of the ones I used last year here
                 
REVIEWERS AND READINGS (@jaja_pogss on twitter) - https://twitter.com/jaja_pogss/status/1038110780128866304

GEOMETRY FORMULA SHEET  (@UPCATQuestion on twitter) - https://twitter.com/UPCATQuestion/status/1025652497573019648

REVIEWERS AND READINGS ( @dapithapon on twitter) - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EpUKzKq13gj1ne4OVXrIicFWkPpBRi2G

UPCAT AND USTET TIPS (@carmeljoy_ on twitter) - https://twitter.com/carmeljoy_/status/1008300386464120833


                Also, I found this cool website called Edukasyon.ph . It’s a site where you can find all the information you need about different colleges, universities, courses, and even scholarships! I’m actually sad that I didn’t discover it sooner. It’s a huge help for students who are clueless what course to take and where to pursue it.

55.       TALK TO YOUR TEACHERS – They are there to help you whether you have a problem with your application or you have a hard time figuring out what course to pursue. Don’t be shy and/or ashamed to approach a professional. The next 4-5 years of your life will be invested in the school/course you’ll put in that paper. Make sure it’s worth it.

66.      DON’T STRESS, FINESSE – This last one is a scam. Whatever strategy you have, you will stress BUT the thing you must do is keep that simmering taunting voice in check. Whenever you feel like you’re the stupidest student to ever exist, don’t worry, every single one of your classmates probably feels the same way. There is no shortcut in the college application process. So, if you’re feeling like you’ll never get into a school and you’re in the verge of giving up, keep going! I swear it will be worth it in the end.



     I am more than satisfied and thankful that I am attending a great school this coming august. I hope this will help you in your application process. If you have any comments or questions please 
email me at bookishkitsune@gmail.com ! see you !


                                                      Twitter// Bloglovin // Instagram // Goodreads

You Might Also Like

0 (mga) komento