Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston BOOK REVIEW

Sunday, May 19, 2019



It has been a hot minute since I last attempted to post a proper book review because I haven’t been reading for so long. Alas, the biggest reading slump of my life has ended and for the last couple of weeks I have been showering myself with amazing books.


                Now, let’s talk about Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston.

                If you’re here then two possible scenarios are happening: either, you’ve already read the book and you absolutely love it and you want to read other people gush about it too (I feel you) or you’re interested, and you want to know more about the premise. If you’re the latter then let me just tell you to drop everything you’re doing and read this amazing, sweet and funny book.

                The premise of Red, White and Royal Blue is simple. Prince Henry of England is Alex Claremont-Diaz’s self-proclaimed arch enemy. Alex hates Henry with passion no one comprehends. Because of their little argument in Henry’s brother’s royal wedding they are both subjected into a PR stunt wherein they must pretend to be friends.

                One of the main troupe of this books is “enemies- to- lovers”. If you know me personally, then you know how I basically devour every story with this theme no matter the format. I just love how two people who are prejudiced grow together and come into terms with their misconceptions about one another and learn from each other throughout the journey. This book is the perfect example of how to execute the trope right. It doesn’t feel toxic. It doesn’t feel forced. It’s has the right amount of saccharine, spice, and moral.

                The dialogue is one of the main driving force of this. I love how the characters interact with each other. I like how casual and easy flowing their words are. It never felt forced. The humor is perfectly done. The author created natural conversation that you feel like you’ve already had with your sibling or friend.

                The characters are great. I don’t have any character I did not like. The two leads have such powerful chemistry and voices. They can exist and be great people on their own but also create such a healthy and wonderful relationship together. The supporting characters that surrounds Alex are just fabulous people. June, his sister, Nora his, best friend, Ellen, his mother and also the POTUS, Oscar, his biological father, their security, Henry’s best friend – I just love reading about them because they have such distinct and strong personalities.

                Not gonna lie, I cried twice throughout this book. First, when Ellen, was talking to Alex about figuring out his sexuality and the ramifications of what he was about to do (no spoilers of course). I cried because I missed my mother so bad. This book reminded me of how important a mother is to a person. Ellen proved that you can have the best of both worlds. You can serve your country and be a good mother to your kids. Second, when Alex was giving a speech. It moved me so much I had to pause for a moment and just gather myself.

                There are political discussions in this book. Even though you don’t like reading books with details like that, I still recommend for you to try this one out. It has a powerful message intertwined in the fluffy romance.
   
             I guess one criticism I have is that from a certain point in the book I already predicted what was going to happen and it did. However, it was executed magnificently that you just don’t mind it.

                It also addressed the current standing of same sex relationships in the U.S. It’s so frustrating and devastating to know that some are still not supporting the LGBTQIA community. There is so much history that lies beneath the surface that we have barely scratched. There’s hate, prejudice and bigotry that prevents the world from acknowledging that love is love. I hope one day “gay romance” will just be as normal as any other kind of “romance”.

                This is one of my favorite reads of 2019 so far. It perfectly encapsulated everything I want in a rom-com : chemistry, healthy relationships, friendship, family, a good message, kickass dialogue and good amount of star wars discourse.

 This book receives an A+ for me ❤️ 


You Might Also Like

0 (mga) komento