I passed my dream school... what's next?

Saturday, April 13, 2019





When I was little, I wanted to become many things. I dreamt of becoming a dentist, and then an educator, a news reporter and then at one point a sales lady (because when I visit the mall back then I always wonder how those people just stand there, fold clothes and work in an air-conditioned space and probably earn lots of money. Frankly, I thought they owned the mall one way or another.) Despite all these, there is always one constant factor in my life – University of the Philippines, the school of my dreams.

I used to listen to my titas talk about their children going to school in the summer because they had to review for upcat. Grade school me back then would just brush it off because what is upcat and why do they pay so much attention to it? By the end of 6th grade I was acquainted with the idea of UP. When I entered high school, I knew there was no way I would go to any other university.

Fast forward nearly 6 years then. On April 1st I found out I passed my dream university. I was fortunate enough to get into the Dental Medicine program of the University of the Philippines, Manila. It was PURE AGONY waiting for the results to the point of staying up until midnight anxiously refreshing until the site updates its list of passers. Exactly 12:30 pm I found my results and had a minor (note: major) freak out moment. It was there. The results I had been dreading to hear since the exam last year. The wait is over. I could finally breathe.

But the question is what’s next?

I passed UP but I’m not enrolling there for college. Instead, I will be staying in Ateneo De Manila University to earn my degree in BS Health Sciences. There, I finally said it.

 When I tell people I chose Ateneo over UP, they always reply, “Bakit? Akala ko ba gusto mo sa UP?” or “Akala ko ba mag me-med ka? Bakit ka mag Ateneo?” You see I never thought I would even be considering Ateneo as my school because I knew our family could NEVER afford the tuition. Last year if you’d tell me I’d be studying in Ateneo for college. I’d probably just laugh at you. However, it’s real and it’s the truth.

In January 11th after having a quiz in arts, I nervously asked my friend if she could lend me her phone so I could check my results. So, I did. I found out I got into the course I wanted with full tuition and a great financial assistance. From then on, I knew things would have to change.

I dream of UP and being an iskolar ng bayan, but Ateneo is not only giving me a dream but they’re already there practically giving me everything to reach that dream. I chose practicality over passion but that doesn’t mean I had to compromise. Ateneo is one of the best universities in the country and I am so deeply honored to qualify to be one of its students.  Both schools are exemplary and have outstanding academic performance. I am blessed and so so lucky to be able to get admission in both universities and I am happy about my decision. I know Ateneo would educate and help me become a better learner and like always I’m humbled by the opportunity it provided me.

Hindi man ako sa UP ngayon ngunit alam kong sasablay ako sa tamang panahon 😊
UPFight! One Big Fight!
Disclaimer: I get it, this might sound so entitled and a nonsensical problem that I shouldn’t even be saying out loud but it’s extremely personal to me and I hope if someone is struggling out there about this kind of decision as well, this will be of help.
 Later,
Trisha


You Might Also Like

0 (mga) komento